Do you know Valencia has its own regional language? Valencian is spread all over the Valencian Community and it’s a co-official language along with Spanish.
We know this might be a bit confusing and that’s why today we’ll teach you some useful words and expressions:
First, how to greet and say goodbye:
- Bon dia = Good day (morning, afternoon… as long as there is light)
- Bona nit = Good night (evening, night… as long as it is dark)
- Adéu = Goodbye (people say “Au” to make it shorter)
- Fins demà = See you tomorrow
Second, we will give you some phrases you can use when you are being introduced to someone:
- – Com estàs? = How are you?
- – Què tal? = How are you? (more informal, like “what’s up”)
- – Molt bé, i tú? = I’m good, and you?
- – Com et dius? = What’s your name?
- – El meu nom és… = My name is…
Third, we would like you to understand directions, for example:
- – Dreta/ Esquerra = Right/ Left
- – Davant/ Darrere = In front/ Behind
- – Abans/ Després = Before/ After
- – Prop/ Lluny = Near/ Far
And last, let’s learn some polite expressions:
- – Per favor = Please
- – Gràcies = Thank you
- – De res = You’re welcome
Did you know in the Valencian region there are many families who speak another language? Valencian is an official language along with Spanish (Castellano) in Valencia! Live with a host family and learn about Valencian for yourself!