City life can be hectic and sometimes we all need a break amongst nature! Valencia not only offers all the perks of city life but also offers a lot in the way of nature and green spaces too.
What is it?
The Albufera is a stunning natural park where you can find a big freshwater lagoon and estuary. To get an idea of the size, it is more than 21,000 hectares! If you think, a football pitch is more or less 1 hectare, so The Albufera is quite a remarkable space of green land if you consider that it’s only 20 Km away from the city center of Valencia.
All year round, the biodiversity of this natural reserve gives you the chance to observe a huge variety of fauna and flora. If you think it couldn’t get any better just wait… it also has a beach!
What activities can you do there?
- – Take a horse and carriage ride along the spectacular rice fields or a boat trip on the lake
- – Enjoy a dreamlike sunset over the most endemic landscape of Valencia
- – Delight yourself with traditional dishes from the Land of Valencia: a couple of recommendations are arròs del senyoret and arròs a banda
- – Go cycling along the Devesa del Saler and admire the sand dunes and pine tree forest landscape
- – Relax, sunbathe and swim on the El Saler beach.
When is it best to visit?
Without a doubt, April and May are the best two months to visit the Albufera as the surrounding rice fields are dry and all the birds and wildlife show up. What’s more… it is not that hot at this time of year compared to later in the summer!
Check out even more activities and places to visit in Valencia here: http://www.euroace.net/activities/